To get a more in-depth description of any term in the Glossary, as well as a list of articles that relate to the term, just click on the term in the list of Terms below. You’ll be taken to a page that contains the Term, the Longer Description, and a list of articles related to that topic.
Grandmother is the formal term for the mother of the mother or father with children. Grandma is the more common, less formal name.
Modern grandmothers, used to feeling and looking younger than their counterparts of seventy years ago, sometimes look for chic, fun names, like G-Mom, or GiGi. Click here to order one of our favorites books about Grandparent names, "You Can Call Me Hoppa! The Grandparents' Guide to Choosing a Name That Fits."
- No One’s Perfect. Book Thursday.
- My Grandmother’s Cedar Chest
- When Did Hawaii Become a State?
- Millions of Cats. Book Thursday.
- I Want A Cute Grandma Name
- How to Make a Magic Square 3×3 Fun with Grandkids
- Mom, Tell Me Your Story. Book Thursday.
- Letters from Grandma Book Thursday
- When Being a Grandma Isn’t So Grand. Book Thursday.
- Star Wars
- Do You Like Tapioca?
- When Did a Computer Finally Win A Chess Game Against a World Champion?
- The Cracker Queen. Book Thursday.
- The Power of a Paper Towel. Fun with Grandkids.
- Crossing Divides. Book Thursday.
- When Was the First Mobile Phone Call Made?
- Is Chicken Soup Really Good for a Cold?
- Have You Ever Lived Through a Coup?
- They Burned Down the House in Ireland
- Cancer Schmancer. Book Thursday. More..
Also see: Grandma
A Grandmother-to-be is a mother who has a son or daughter who is about to become a parent.
Grandmothers are sometimes invited to a baby shower for the mother-to-be and honored.
Click here to order one of our favorite books for grandmas-to-be picking a chic new Grandma name, as a baby shower gift for the grandma-to-be, "You Can Call Me Hoppa! The Grandparents Guide for Choosing a Name That Fits."
Sometimes the friends of a grandmother-to-be will throw her her own grandmother shower, knowing it is unlikely she still has many things left for taking care of a baby.
Click here for a gift for the grandma-t0-be with her friends at her own shower, affectionate, candid advice from mothers and grandmothers to each other about parenting and grandparenting, 40 essays based on our own interviews with young mothers through great-grandmothers, "Who Gets to Name Grandma? The Wisdom of Mothers and Grandmothers."