To get a more in-depth description of any term in the Glossary, as well as a list of articles that relate to the term, just click on the term in the list of Terms below. You’ll be taken to a page that contains the Term, the Longer Description, and a list of articles related to that topic.
A grandma, or grandmother, is a woman whose child has had a child. Grandma is usually the shortened, affectionate name for this role.
To eliminate confusion if there is more than one grandmother in a child's life, women may take a different name, such as Grandma First Name (Grandma, appended to their first name) or Grandma Last Name.
Or, they may take a traditionally affectionate name like Nana or Memaw. Their culture or language may dictate a different name, like Abuela. Their grandchild may fashion a different name as they are learning to talk, such as Mega, or Gammie. Or, they may choose a name that reflects their personality, like GiGi, or Gmom.
Click here to order one of our favorite books to help you pick out a fun name, "You Can Call Me Hoppa! The Grandparents' Guide to Choosing a Name That Fits."
To read more about how the world has changed since Boomers raised our children, click here to order this blog for your Kindle.
If you want to read about what other Moms and Grandmas would like to tell each other about parenting and grandparenting, click here to order our own book, "Who Gets to Name Grandma? The Wisdom of Mothers and Grandmothers." The book is a series of essays highlighting affectionate, candid advice from 40 mothers and grandmothers.
- Go, Button!
- Grandma’s Button Box. Book Thursday.
- The Compact
- A Bar of Soap for Christmas
- What Shape Is the Bottom of the Jar?
- What Is The Whole Earth Catalog?
- I Want A Cute Grandma Name
- What Does COBOL Stand For?
- A Leave-Taking. Poetry Corner.
- How Big Is Your State? Fun with Grandkids
- Why I Use Cloth Napkins
- When Did a Computer Finally Win A Chess Game Against a World Champion?
- Peas and Cheese Salad
- What Is The Luckiest Number in Dice? Fun with Grandchildren
- The Golden Mean. Fun with Grandkids.
- The Cracker Queen. Book Thursday.
- Who Invented the Computer Mouse
- Weekly Recap. Sunday, April 21, 2013
- Are Two Small Pieces of a Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwich the Same As One Large Piece?
- Mercury Astronauts More..