I didn’t date a lot in high school, went to neither my Junior nor Senior prom, for instance.

English: The Righteous Brothers performing at ...

The Righteous Brothers performing at Knott’s Berry Farm. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

But, I did go to the occasional dance after Friday night football games.

The Righteous Brothers released “You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feelin’” in December, 1964, the middle of my senior year of high school. A not-yet-famous Cher was in the background chorus.

1964 was the the beginning of the Beatles’s craze, with “A Hard Day’s Night) and hits like “Walkin’ In the Rain” (The Ronettes) among other 1964 hits.

But, “You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feelin’” went on to hit Billboard’s Hot 100 Number One Single status on February 6, 1965 and stayed there for two weeks.

It crossed over to hit number 2 on the Rhythm and Blues charts and was named #34 on Rolling Stones’ 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.

The song was co-written by Phil Spector, Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil. It was produced by Phil Spector and released under his Philles label.

The Righteous Brothers was formed by bass-baritone Bill Medley and tenor Bobby Hatfield.

Their name grew out of an incident with a black U.S. Marine who attended one of their concerts when they were still performing with a group, The Paramours, in 1962.

After their duet, the Marine yelled out, “That was righteous, brothers.” They adopted the name when they became a duo and recorded their first song together in 1963 on the Moonglow label, “Little Latin Lupe Lu,” a song Bill Medley wrote.

Spector co-founded the Philles label in 1961, then bought out his partner to become the youngest head of a record label at 21, ending record production with his label in 1967.

The Righteous Brothers went on to record “Just Once in My Life” (released May 15, 1965), and the song that soon became a wedding reception favorite “Unchained Melody” (August 28, 1965) as well as “Ebb Tide” (January 8, 1966) forming the musical backdrop of my last year of high school, summer dating and dances I attended my Freshman year of college, providing some of the era’s most popular, romantic, slow dance music.

Phil Spector was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1989.  Since his 2009 conviction for murdering actress Lana Clarkson on February 3, 2003, he has been serving 19 years  to life in prison.

The Righteous Brothers were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on March 10, 2003. On November 5, 2003, Hatfield died of a cocaine overdose while Medley was waiting for him to join him on stage at a concert in Kalamazoo, Michigan

Medley still performs in Branson, Missouri.

Between 1964 and 2000, “You’ve Lost That Loving Feeling” was played 8 million times, more than any other song on American radio and tv.

Take yourself back to 1964 and listen to this YouTube video by clicking on the song title to hear The Righteous Brothers sing, “You’ve Lost that Lovin’ Feelin.”

I know you remember the lyrics:

You never close your eyes anymore when I kiss your lips.

And there’s no tenderness like before in your fingertips.

You’re trying hard not to show it (baby)

But baby, baby I know it.

You’ve lost that lovin’ feelin’

Whoa, that lovin’ feelin’…

If you want to introduce this song to your grandchildren, their parents may remember the song when Tom Cruise sang it in “Top Gun.”

Order the movie by clicking on the title, “Top Gun” and snuggle up for a family movie night with the grands and tell them stories about when you first heard The Righteous Brothers sing this song.

Carol Covin, Granny-Guru

Author, “Who Gets to Name Grandma? The Wisdom of Mothers and Grandmothers

http://newgrandmas.com

Enhanced by Zemanta